BEST - Boltzmann Equation Solver Tool
BEST is a lattice Boltzmann flow solver developed at the Institute of
Fluid Mechanics (LSTM), University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Instead
of directly solving the Navier-Stokes equations, a discrete Boltzmann
equation is solved to simulate the flow of a Newtonian fluid.
This approach is proven to be a promising alternative to classical
CFD methods. BEST is applied in various scientific and engineering
disciplines such as:
- turbulent flows and aerodynamics
- chemical and process engineering
- bio and environmental processes
Presently the software package BEST contains
the following features:
- Two and three dimensional laminar and turbulent flow (Large-Eddy
turbulence model) together with chemical reaktions and energy
- The gridgeneration is based on a voxel approach. An interface
to CAD-Tools is available.
- Efficient simulations of flow through geometries with highly
complex boundaries such as porous media.
- The code is fully parallised by domain decomposition and standard
parallisation paradigms (MPI and OpenMP).
- The implementation shows excellent performance on High
Performance Computers both for single node performance
and the parallel speed-up. On the full HLRS NEC SX-8
System still more than 60% of the peak performance is
realized (see figure).
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. F. Durst
Lehrstuhl für Strömungsmechanik
Dipl.–Ing. Thomas Zeiser
Regionales Rechenzentrum Erlangen